Match Reports‎ > ‎

SFC Round Up

posted 20 Apr 2011, 14:08 by Unknown user   [ updated 8 Nov 2011, 14:49 ]


Meath Farm Machinery SFC Group B Round 1

Rathkenny upset the odds once again

Rathkenny trailed by 5 points at the break but lead by one at the finish to take home the points from this Meath Farm Machinery, Group B, opening round SFC game played in Pairc Tailteann last Saturday evening, April 16th.

Rathkenny 2-09

Donaghmore/Ashbourne 2-08

The omens did not look good for last year’s surprise packets when Rathkenny trailed Donaghmore/Ashbourne by 1-06 to 0-01 after only fifteen minutes. But outscoring their opponents by 2-08 to 1-02 for the remaining 45 minutes showed their never say die attitude. The Dublin border outfit were coasting to an easy victory at the quarter hour mark with two frees in the opening two minutes seeing them off to the best possible start. Rathkenny replied with an opening score from John Donegan after five minutes. Three unanswered points from Donaghmore/Ashbourne saw them take a 0-05 to 0-1 lead, before the contest seemed over when a well worked move ended with the ball in the Rathkenny net on 14 minutes. This was quickly followed by another point to leave eight points between the teams on 15 minutes. Darren Barron got his opening score from a free three minutes later before Brain Meade closed the gap two minutes later. There was a seven minute gap before the next score which came from the men in green. Rathkenny closed out the half with two important quick scores from Barron and Donegan to leave it double scores, 1-07 to 0-05 at the break.

Rathkenny needed a good start to the second half and they got it when Barron scored his third and fourth points of the game in the opening two minutes of the half to reduce the gap to three. Veteran Donal Curtis could have scored a goal, moments later, when a slip from the Donaghmore/Ashbourne net-minder gave him a chance but he saw his effort come off the post. However he made amends within two minutes when, after a similar incident, he dispatched the ball to the net to tie the game. Rathkenny had their tails up at this stage and although Donaghmore/Ashbourne edged back in front, Stephen McCabe popped over a lovely point on eighteen minutes to draw the teams level once more. Second half substitute Martin Donnelly’s attempted free with nine minutes remaining ended up in the back of the net as once again the Donaghmore/Ashbourne goalkeeper dropped the ball. Rathkenny lead by three, but it was short lived as from their next attack, Donaghmore/Ashbourne were allowed run through the Rathkenny defence to drill home the equaliser with eight minutes remaining. Rathkenny defended well for the remainder of the game and Darren Barron scored the winner with two minutes left after great work from Brian Meade and Owen Elliott created the chance. Rathkenny will be disappointed with the number of wides they kicked as they await old foes Seneschalstown in the next round.

Rathkenny – J. Martin; D. McBride, T. McKeever, M. Macken; R. Gore, J. Macken, D. Keogan; S, McCabe (0-1), B. Meade (0-1); O. Elliott, T. Martin, I. Lenehan; D. Curtis (1-0), J. Donegan (0-2), D. Barron (0-5)

Subs - M. Donnelly (1-0) for Lenehan, C. McCabe for McBride



Meath Farm Machinery SFC Group B Round 2

Seneschalstown hold off Rathkenny

Seneschalstown earned their first points of the 2011 Senior Football Championship as they held off a late rally to overcome Rathkenny in Pairc Tailteann on Saturday evening, May 2nd

Seneschalstown 0-10

Rathkenny 1-05

Seneschalstown opened the scoring in the opening seconds with a well taken point from Brian Sheridan. Rathkenny responded well with 2 points, a 45 and free from Thomas Martin. Peter Waters slotted the ball over the bar leaving the sides level on the 11th minute. Rathkenny were reduced to 14 men when Owen Elliott was shown red on thirteen minutes. Seneschalstown added to their tally with 2 points from Shane Clarke (1 free) but Rathkenny soon cancelled out these points with Thomas Martin frees on 20 and 27 minutes to leave the sides level at the break.

Seneschalstown opened the second half with a goal chance but Rathkenny goalie John Martin made a great save. Rathkenny went a point in front on 38 minutes with a free from Thomas Martin. Seneschalstown then hit five unanswered points in a ten minute spell which saw them lead by four after scores from Shane Clarke, Stephen Finnegan, Brian Sheridan (2) and Joe Sheridan. Rathkenny began to dominate for the final seven minutes but were playing against a very strong gale and the scores would not come until a fantastic move involving Donal Keogan and quick passes sliced through the Seneschalstown defence, led to Keogan rifling to the net leaving Rathkenny only one point down going into the last minute of the match. Peter Waters put over a last minute point to leave Seneschalstown ahead by two at the end.

Rathkenny - J. Martin; M. Macken, T. McKeever, D. Mc Bride; D. Keogan (1-0), J. Macken, R. Gore; J. Donegan, B. Meade; D. Barron, I. Lenehan, D. Curtis; O. Elliott, T. Martin (0-05), S. McCabe.

Subs - B. Carolan for S. McCabe, C. McCabe for M. Macken, B. Lenehan for Barron



Meath Farm Machinery SFC Group B Round 3

O’Mahonys ease to victory

Navan O’Mahonys earned a double scores victory over Rathkenny in this third round Senior Championship match played in Seneschalstown last Sunday, May 15th.

Navan O’Mahonys 0-14

Rathkenny 0-07

The Navan men won this contest with a strong first half performance which yielded seven points to Rathkennys solitary score from a Thomas Martin free on the stroke of half-time. Rathkenny were not aided by the dismissal of James Macken, which the referee deemed a red card offence. 

Rathkenny upped the effort in the second half but O’Mahonys scored the first three points to finish this as a contest. Thomas Martin doubled Rathkennys account eight minutes after the break. John Donegan popped over a huge effort from over fifty metres out. Rathkenny scored three points in three minutes through Martin and a brace from the hard working Brian Meade. Meade popped over Rathkennys last score just before the end.

Rathkenny – J. Martin; M. Macken, T. McKeever, R. Gore; D. Keogan, J. Macken, D. McBride; B. Meade (0-3), J. Donegan (0-1); B. Lenehan, I. Lenehan, D. Barron; D. Curtis, T. Martin (0-3), M. Donnelly.

Subs – S. McCabe for Donnelly, C. McCabe for Barron, B. Carolan for McBride



Meath Farm Machinery SFC Group B Round 4

Dunshaughlin through to quarters

Dunshaughlin overturned a six point halftime deficit to a two point victory in this Senior Championship match played in blustery Pairc Tailteann last Sunday afternoon, June 12th.

Dunshaughlin 0-11

Rathkenny 1-05

Rathkenny aided by the strong winds blowing towards the hospital end were four points to the good on twenty minutes with scores from Cathal McCabe (two frees), John Donegan and Brian Meade. Dunshaughlin had missed an early penalty when Rathkenny net minder John Martin produced a great save. In fact it took Dunshaughlin 26 minutes to put over their first score after wasting some easy chances throughout the half. Rathkenny were given a great boost just before the interval when John Donegan caught a high centre and finished superbly to the net to leave Rathkenny 1-04 to 0-01 in front at half time.

The change of ends was a change in fortunes as Dunshaughlin went about reducing the gap with six scores in seventeen minutes. Dunshaughlin were winning all the midfield breaks and Rathkenny were guilty of bad misses on the odd occasion they got the ball in Dunshaughlin’s half.  Dunshaughlin drew level on seventeen minutes and a minute later edged in front with their sixth free of the day. Dunshaughlin extended the lead to two on sixty minutes and to three one minute into injury time. Colin Curtis popped over a late free for Rathkenny to bring it back to two. However Dunshaughlin knocked over the final score to win by three in the end. Rathkenny will rue eleven wides and now face Nobber to avoid finishing bottom of the group.

RathkennyJ. Martin; M. Macken, J. Macken, J. Gore; D. Keogan, T. McKeever, R. Gore; B. Meade (0-1), B. Carolan; B. Lenehan, J. Donegan (1-1), D. McBride; D. Curtis, I. Lenehan, C. McCabe (0-2)

Subs – S. McCabe for M. Macken, C. Curtis (0-1) for I. Lenehan, M. Macken for C. McCabe



Meath Farm Machinery SFC Group B Round 5

Rathkenny remain Senior

Rathkenny defeated Nobber in this bottom of Group B, Senior Championship match played in Kilmainhamwood last Sunday evening, August 7th.

Rathkenny 1-13

Nobber 0-08

Rathkenny got off to the best possible start when Donal Curtis was fouled in the large parallelogram when through on goal. Murt Donnelly dispatched the resultant penalty to the net. Brian Lenehan added a point a minute later and Donnelly converted from a tight angle to leave Rathkenny 1-2 to no score up after four minutes. Nobber settled with two Brian Farrell frees on six and seven minutes to reduce the gap. Rathkenny opened up a five point lead once again through a Donnelly free and after a lovely team move Donal Curtis popped over a fifteenth minute point.

Nobber reduced the gap with a long range point before Brian Meade, Owen Elliott and Donnelly extended the lead once more. Brian Farrell sent over the last score of the half to leave it 1-07 to 0-04 at the break.

Rathkenny came out strongest in the second half with Owen Elliott and sub Thomas Martin sending over to increase the lead to eight points, seven minutes after the restart. Farrell reduced the gap again before Michael Macken and Thomas Martin with his second score of the evening extended the lead again. Nobber however kept in touch with the next two scores. With nine minutes remaining Donal Curtis sent over a sublime score from the left touchline before Nobber popped over their final score of the game with seven minutes left. Owen Elliott completed a great evening’s work for Rathkenny with his third score of the game.

Rathkenny had great showings all over the pitch, chiefly from man of the match Donal Keogan who played really well on danger man Brian Farrell. Nobber now meet Trim and Duleek-Bellewstown in the relegation playoffs.

RathkennyJ. Martin; J. Gore, J. Macken, D. Keogan; D. Donegan, T. McKeever, R. Gore; B. Meade (0-1), M. Macken (0-1); B. Lenehan (0-1), I. Lenehan, O. Elliott (0-3); D. Curtis (0-2), J. Donegan, M. Donnelly (1-3).

Subs – T. Martin (0-2) for D. Curtis, D. Curtis for D. Donegan, D. Barron for B. Lenehan, C. Curtis for Donnelly