Match Reports‎ > ‎

ACFL4B Round Up

posted 20 Apr 2011, 14:47 by Unknown user   [ updated 8 Nov 2011, 15:14 ]


ACFL4B Round One

Rathkenny win opener

Rathkenny opened their B League Division 4 campaign with a hard fought one point victory over St Vincent’s, Ardcath in blustery Rathkenny last Sunday, March 13th.

Rathkenny 1-09

St Vincent’s 2-05

The hosts got off the mark with a rare point from midfielder Ronan Curtis. This was followed by a point by his brother Colin Curtis. Rathkenny’s only other score of the half was a Cathal McCabe point. The visitors got the added bonus of a first half goal when a 45 was mishandled in the Rathkenny square and dropped to the net. This gave the visitors a five point interval lead after playing with the strong wind advantage in the opening half.

Rathkenny popped over two early second half scores from the boot of Thomas Martin. However the hosts hard work was undone when the visitors got their only second half score, when they finished to the net to leave six points in it.

Thomas Martin popped over a free to reduce the gap and Barry Carolan hit a lovely score to put four between the teams going into the last ten minutes. A foot block by the visitors gave Thomas Martin the chance to drill home the resultant penalty to leave the minimum between the sides. Darren Barron scored the equalizing point with time almost up. In the four minutes of injury time, Robbie Price put over the winning score as Rathkenny held on to secure the points.

Rathkenny – A. Finney; J. Gore, S. Lynn, P. Mullery; R. Price (0-1), D. Crosbie, D. Nulty; B. Carolan (0-1), R. Curtis (0-1); D. Barron (0-1), T. Martin (1-3), C. Gore; C. McCabe (0-1), M. McBride, C. Curtis (0-1).

Subs – M. Reid for Crosbie, R. Califf for R. Curtis



ACFL4B Round Two

Rathkenny continue winning ways

Hosts Rathkenny made hard work at taking home the points in this B League Division 4 game played in blustery Rathkenny last Saturday afternoon, April 2nd.

Rathkenny 0-11

Carnaross 1-06

Rathkenny led this game from Cathal McCabe’s fifth minute point. Brian Lenehan increased the lead three minutes later. Carnaross popped over two frees to draw level by the tenth minute. Rathkenny were in control for the remainder of the half but could only notch up two further scores (both from Darren Barron), to leave it 0-4 to 0-2 at the break.

Rathkenny got the next two scores of the game in the opening five minutes of the second half through Stephen McCabe and Darren Barron. Then came a scoring spell of six points in ten minutes. Rathkennys scores coming from Cathal McCabe and Darren Barron, to leave it 0-8 to 0-6 in the hosts favour by the seventeenth minute. Cathal McCabe added Rathkennys next score before Barron extended the lead to four points with seven minutes to go. However Carnaross received a lifeline when a foot block was adjudged and the resultant penalty was scored with six minutes left. Rathkenny held on as Barron added his sixth point of the game and Rathkenny took the points.

Rathkenny – A. Finney; P. Mullery, M. Brien, S. Lynn; B. Lenehan (0-1), D. Crosbie, D. Nulty; D. Smith, S. McCabe (0-1); D. Barron (0-6), D. McBride, C. Gore; C. McCabe (0-3), M. Donnelly, R. Price.

Subs – C. Curtis for Price, T. Martin for Gore, R. Califf for Lenehan, M. McBride for D. McBride, B. Kelly for C. McCabe



ACFL4B Round Three

Rathkenny ease to B league victory

Rathkenny overcame Kilmainhamwood in this third round B league game played in Rathkenny last Monday evening, May 9th.

Rathkenny 2-19

Kilmainhamwood 0-08

Rathkenny produced a great first half display to lead by eight at the break. Following Brian Lenehan’s early score, Rathkenny were never headed and with Lenehan and full forward Cathal McCabe scoring three points each, Colin Curtis adding a brace and a point each for Cody Reilly and Derek Smith, it left it 0-10 to 0-02 at half time.

Rathkenny upped their work rate after the break and with Colm Gore and Denis Nulty adding goals; the game was over as a contest long before the end. The second half scoring honours went to Colm Gore (1-3), Denis Nulty (1-1), Colin Curtis (0-2), Cody Reilly (0-2) and Billy Kelly (0-1).

Rathkenny – A. Finney; R. Califf, S. Lynn, P. Mullery; J. Gore, D. Crosbie, B. Lenehan (0-3); E. Weldon, D. Smith (0-1); D. Nulty (1-1), C. Gore (1-3), C. Curtis (0-4); C. Reilly (0-3), C. McCabe (0-3), B. Kelly (0-1).

Subs – T. Rowan for McCabe, R. Price for Lenehan, M. Reid for Califf, K. Leddy for Mullery, R. Drew for Kelly



ACFL4B Round Four

Rathkenny veterans maintain unbeaten run

Rathkenny overcame hosts St Michaels in this fourth round B league game played in Carlanstown last Tuesday evening, May 24th.

St Michaels 1-06

Rathkenny 0-24

Rathkenny produced a great first half display when playing with wind advantage to lead by nine at the break. Following Cathal McCabe’s early score, Rathkenny were never headed and with Tom Rowan rolling back the years with four first half points, further scores were added by Colin Curtis (3), Cathal McCabe (2) Kevin Leddy (2) and midfielder Barry Carolan which left Rathkenny leading 0-13 to 0-04 at the break.

Rathkenny continued the hard work ethos in the second half and although St Michaels scored a penalty, the Rathkenny defence held the hosts to only two further scores. Tom Rowan added three further scores to finish the evening with seven points. Cathal McCabe added three more, while Colin Curtis added a brace. Kevin Leddy, Denis Nulty and Joe Gore popped over one each to complete a good evening’s work considering Rathkenny ended with a full forward line with a combined age of 122.

Rathkenny – A. Finney; C. Rock, M. Brien, P. Mullery; J. Gore (0-1), S. Lynn, B. Lenehan; B. Carolan (0-1), D. Smith; D. Nulty (0-1), C. McCabe (0-6), C. Curtis (0-5); K. Leddy (0-3), T. Rowan (0-7), A Crosbie.

Subs – M. Reid for Crosbie, J. McKeever for Curtis, R. Drew for Leddy.



ACFL4B Round Five

Early goals leave Rathkenny reeling

The concession of three early goals left Rathkenny with too much to do to overcome hosts Dunsany in this fifth round B league game played in Dunsany last Monday evening, May 30th.

Dunsany 3-10

Rathkenny 1-09

Three goals in 14 first half minutes left Rathkenny 3-02 to 0-02 in arrears and unable to catch up. The first score of the game was a well worked Dunsany goal inside a minute of the start. Things got worse when a defensive mix-up led to goal number two and two minutes later a pointed effort rebounded of the crossbar and was buried by the inrushing Dunsany forward. Rathkenny eventually got a foothold in the game and produced five points from Tom Rowan (2), Colin Curtis (2) and Derek Smith. Rathkenny were also guilty of missing a goal chance just before the half time break to leave it 3-05 to 0-05 at the break.

A brace of scores from Cathal McCabe and a point each from Cody Reilly and Colin Curtis kept the scoreboard ticking over but Dunsany also sent over four points to leave it 3-09 to 0-09 with ten minutes remaining. Colin Curtis buried to the net a minute later to leave six in it, but Rathkenny were guilty of a couple more goal efforts going just wide when points might have been the wiser option. The impressive Dunsany outfit sent over the last score with five minutes remaining.

Rathkenny – A. Finney; C. Rock, M. Brien, P. Mullery; J. Gore, D. Crosbie, S. Lynn; B. Carolan, D. Smith (0-1); D. Nulty, C. Gore, B. Lenehan; C. Curtis (1-3), T. Rowan (0-2), C McCabe (0-2).

Subs – R. Price for Rock, C. Reilly (0-1) for Nulty



ACFL4B Round Six

St Pats win top of table clash

Rathkenny lost out in this top of the table clash to a well drilled St Pats side who won out by eleven points last Monday evening, July 4th in Stamullen.

St Pats 1-15

Rathkenny 0-07

There was only two points between the sides at the break, Rathkenny scores coming from Colin Curtis (2), Enda Weldon and Cathal McCabe. St Pats opened up in the second half and an early goal meant Rathkenny were playing catch up but could not find the scores necessary as St Pats pulled away in the finish. Rathkenny second half scores coming from Cathal McCabe, Colm Gore and Kevin Leddy. Rathkenny now need to win their last two games against Clann na nGael and St Mary’s to ensure promotion to Division 3.

Rathkenny - T. Rowan; C. Rock, S. Lynn, P. Mullery; D. Donegan, D. Crosbie, D. Nulty; B. Carolan, D. Smith; B. Lenehan, E. Weldon (0-1), C. Curtis (0-2); C. Gore (0-1), C. McCabe (0-2), C. Reilly.

Subs - K. Leddy (0-1) for Donegan, B. Kelly for Reilly, R. Drew for Gore.



ACFL4B Round Seven

Rathkenny move closer to promotion

Rathkenny moved a step closer to promotion with this five point victory over Clann na nGael in Rathkenny last Monday evening, July 11th.

Rathkenny 0-16

Clann na nGael 2-05

This was a good team performance with Colin Curtis top scoring with seven points for the evening and Brian Lenehan adding five more. Rathkenny led by double scores at the half way stage and extended that advantage with some quality point taking in the second half. The concession of two goals will be a worry but one more victory in their final match will guarantee promotion, which was the goal at the start of the campaign. Rathkennys other scores coming from Cathal McCabe (2) and Murt Donnelly (2).

Rathkenny – A. Finney; J. Gore, S. Lynn, P. Mullery; D. Nulty, D. Crosbie, D. Donegan; B. Carolan, D. Smith; B. Lenehan (0-5), C. Gore, C. McCabe (0-2); M. Donnelly (0-2), T. Rowan, C. Curtis (0-7).

Subs – C. Reilly for B. Lenehan, C. Rock for Mullery, P. Downey for Donegan, R. Price for Rowan.



ACFL4B Round Eight

Rathkenny gain promotion

Rathkenny won their final B League Division 4 game to gain promotion to next years Division 3 campaign after a hard fought three point victory over neighbours St Marys in Rathkenny last Monday evening, August 29th.

Rathkenny 0-12

St Mary’s 1-06

Rathkenny started brightly and were three points to the good after four minutes with scores from Cathal McCabe, Richie Timmons and Murt Donnelly. St Mary’s sent over a seventh minute point before Rathkenny sent over the next six scores from half back Denis Nulty, three points in a row from Brian Lenehan and another Murt Donnelly effort. St Mary’s got their second score right on half time to leave it 0-09 to 0-02 at the break.

When Brian Lenehan sent over two early second half points Rathkenny were cruising to an easy victory, but they almost pressed the self destruct button as they failed to score again until five minutes from time. St Mary’s started the fight back with two points before a goal on 43 minutes brought the gap down to four points. With ten minutes remaining the gap was down to two points. St Mary’s then kicked a number of wides which seemed to take the wind from their sails. Colin Curtis popped over Rathkennys final score on 55 minutes and St Mary’s needed to score four points to win. They failed to score again as Rathkenny held firm to gain promotion. 

Rathkenny – A. Finney; J. Gore, S. Lynn, P. Mullery; D. Nulty (0-1), D. Crosbie, D. Donegan; B. Carolan, D. Smith; B. Lenehan (0-5), C. Gore, C. McCabe (0-1); C. Curtis (0-2), M. Donnelly (0-2), R. Timmons (0-1)

Subs – T. Rowan for Lenehan, P. Downey for McCabe



ACFL4B Final

Rathkenny are the Champions

Rathkenny claimed the B League Division 4 title in a highly entertaining game played in Donore last Friday evening September 9th.

Rathkenny 3-07

St Patrick’s 2-07

St Pats opened the scoring after two minutes and increased it further with a free on eight minutes. Rathkenny sent over their opening score through a Colin Curtis free a minute later. They got on equal terms through a Brian Lenehan free on twelve minutes before Peter Downey sent over a lovely score to put Rathkenny in front two minutes later. The Stamullen men then hit a goal and two points by the twentieth minute and five minutes before the break increased the margin when their centre back sent over a point. Two minutes before the break a great Rathkenny move ended with Peter Downey making a surging run through the St Pats defence only to be brought down in the large parallelogram. Brian Lenehan calmly slotted home the resultant penalty to leave it 1-5 to 1-3 to St Pats at the break.

St Pats got off to a dream start in the second period with a well worked goal on 33 minutes. Rathkenny knuckled down and produced three points of their own through Colin Curtis, Brian Lenehan and David Donegan while St Pats sent over a free to leave it 2-6 to 1-6 on forty minutes. The game changed in Rathkennys favour when firstly Colm Gore got on to the end of a centre and finished smartly to the net on 47 minutes. Within a minute a long range Brian Lenehan free was dropped under the crossbar by the St Pats net minder for Murt Donnelly to react quickest and finish to the net. When Donnelly calmly popped over a difficult free five minutes later Rathkenny led by four with seven minutes left. Try as they might St Pats could not get the goal they needed, largely due to great defending by the Rathkenny backs and one crucial save from keeper Andrew Finney. St Pats did send over a free on sixty minutes but Rathkenny held out to claim the title.

After the game County Board representative Paul Mooney presented the cup to Rathkenny captain Paul Mullery. In his speech Mullery thanked the players and also the mentors Dermot Smyth, Martin Byrne and Gerry Gavagan for their work during the year. He thanked St Pats on the great final before finally adding a special thanks to Aisling McCabe for her hard work, commitment and dedication during the year.

Rathkenny – A. Finney; J. Gore, S. Lynn, P. Mullery; D. Donegan (0-1), D. Crosbie, D. Nulty; B. Carolan, D. Smith; P. Downey (0-1), C. Gore (1-0), B. Lenehan (1-2); C. McCabe, R. Timmons, C. Curtis (0-2)

Subs – M. Brien for Crosbie, M. Donnelly (1-1) for McCabe, R. Price, C. Reilly, E. Kelly, C. Rock, K. Leddy, A. Crosbie, R. Drew, E. Weldon.