Match Reports‎ > ‎

ACFL2A Round Up

posted 20 Apr 2011, 14:45 by Unknown user   [ updated 8 Nov 2011, 15:15 ]


ACFL2A (Round One)

Rathkenny opened their 2011 A League with a one point defeat to fellow senior outfit, Oldcastle, in Rathkenny last Sunday afternoon, February 13th.

Rathkenny 1-04

Oldcastle 0-08

Oldcastle opened the scoring with a point in the first minute and were never headed after that. Rathkenny levelled matters when Ivan Lenehan kicked over a fourth minute score. Both teams traded 8th minute points, with the Rathkenny score coming from the boot of Donal Curtis. Oldcastle finished the quarter with a two point gap following scores on 14 and 15 minutes. Brian Lenehan kicked over Rathkenny’s third point twelve minutes before the break while Oldcastle finished the half with three further scores to lead by four at the halfway stage.

Rathkenny were thrown a second half lifeline when Donal Keogan was upended in the square and substitute Thomas Martin coolly slotted home the resultant spot kick to reduce the deficit to a single point in the 34th minute. Scores were at a premium in the second half and Oldcastle finally extended their lead twelve minutes into the second half and try as they might Rathkenny could only add one further score of their own when Brian Meade fisted over a John Donegan sideline ball with five minutes remaining.

Oldcastle will be delighted to secure the points and with a total of 18 wides, this was a typical league opener. Both sides will be determined to improve as the season goes on.

Rathkenny – J. Martin; S. Lynn, J. Macken, M. Macken; R. Gore, T. McKeever, D. Keogan; J. Donegan, R. Curtis; B. Lenehan (0-1), B. Meade (0-1), D. Curtis (0-1); C. Gore, I. Lenehan (0-1), O. Elliott.

Subs - T. Martin (1-0) for C. Gore (ht), D. Barron for Elliott (48)



ACFL2A (Round Two)

Trim take home the points

13 man Trim defeated 14 man Rathkenny in this A League Division 2 game played in Trim last Sunday, 6th March.

Trim 0-13

Rathkenny 0-05

Trim opened the scoring on eight minutes and added to their total two minutes later before Colm Gore opened Rathkennys account on twelve minutes. Trim then put over three points in three minutes to lead by four. A further score apiece (John Donegan scoring for Rathkenny) before the interval left it 0-6 to 0-2. By this stage Trim were down to 13 after two yellows and a straight red. Rathkenny had missed easy chances in the first half and should have been closer at the break.

Trim increased their lead with two early second half scores before Damien McBride popped over Rathkennys third score on 38 minutes. Two further scores from Trim made it 0-10 to 0-3 at the three quarter stage. Two points in quick succession from Rathkennys Thomas Martin and Darren Barron reduced the gap to five points with ten minutes to go. However Rathkenny failed to score again although they hit the butt of the post with a John Donegan effort, before Ronan Curtis shaved the post with another. Trim closed out the game with three further scores to go away with the points. Rathkenny ended the game with fourteen men after Owen Elliott picked up a second yellow card.

Rathkenny – J. Martin; M. Macken, J. Macken, S. Lynn; R. Gore, T. McKeever, B. Carolan; B. Meade, R. Curtis; D. McBride (0-1), J. Donegan (0-1), C. Gore (0-1); T. Martin (0-1), I. Lenehan, O. Elliott.

Subs – B. Lenehan for Lynn, D. Barron (0-1) for I. Lenehan, S. McCabe for Carolan



ACFL2A (Round Three)

Rathkenny record first win

Hosts Rathkenny recorded their first win of the A League campaign following a merited three point victory over visitors Dunderry last Sunday evening, March 27th.

Rathkenny 0-10

Dunderry 0-07

Rathkenny started brightly with two points in the opening eight minutes through Brian Meade and Donal Curtis. Dunderry replied with a ninth minute free to leave the minimum in it. Darren Barron popped over Rathkenny’s third score, before two on the bounce had the Dunderry men on level terms. John Donegan raised the white flag for the hosts fourth point before Barron added his second of the day. Dunderry closed the scoring two minutes before the break to leave it 0-5 to 0-4 at the interval.

Dunderry came roaring out of the second half blocks when they popped over three points in four minutes and Rathkenny were thankful for the sharp reflexes of net minder John Martin for keeping a goal bound effort out. Brian Meade struck two points in quick reply to leave it seven points apiece by the 39th minute. Rathkenny dominated the scoring stats for the remainder of the game with further scores coming from Donal Keogan, John Donegan and Damien McBride to win out by three points.

Rathkenny – J. Martin; S. Lynn, J. Macken, R. Gore; D. Keogan (0-1), T. McKeever, D. McBride (0-1); B. Meade (0-3), B. Carolan; D. Barron (0-2), S. McCabe, O. Elliott; C. Gore, J. Donegan (0-2), D. Curtis (0-1)

Subs – B. Lenehan for C. Gore, M. Macken for Lynn, C. Curtis for McCabe




Rathkenny edge past Nobber

Rathkenny travelled to Nobber last Friday evening June 6th and came away with two hard earned points.

Nobber 1-05

Rathkenny 1-07

Nobber started much the brighter and were three points to the good when Rathkenny finally opened their account through the boot of Cathal McCabe on fifteen minutes. Things improved when the visitors edged in front as Barry Carolan, Ivan Lenehan and McCabe again sent over great scores. However all the first half hard work was undone as Nobber latched on to a defensive mix up and finished to the net on the stroke of halftime quickly followed by a point to leave it 1-04 to 0-04 at the break.

Second half scores included an inspirational score from cornerback Ross Gore who popped over after a sixty yard solo run. Barry Carolan got his second score to leave it 1-05 to 0-06 with twelve minutes remaining. Rathkenny then missed a penalty which was saved by the Nobber custodian. Substitute Colin Curtis took a sideline ball and it hit the net after a number of players failed to connect to leave Rathkenny in front by a point. Nobber were guilty of a number of wides as they attempted to draw level, Colin Curtis then popped over a free from a difficult angle to edge Rathkenny two in front. The final drama came as Donal Curtis made a goal line clearance as Nobber looked to have won it at the death.

Rathkenny – J. Martin; S. Lynn, T. McKeever, R. Gore (0-1); B. Lenehan, D. Keogan, J. Gore; D. Smith, B. Carolan (0-2); I. Lenehan (0-1), J. Donegan, C. McCabe (0-2); D. Curtis, S. McCabe, C. Gore

Subs – C. Curtis (1-1) for D. Curtis, M. Macken for C. Gore, D. Curtis for C. McCabe



ACFL2A (Round Five)

Rathkenny lose out at Carlanstown

Rathkenny came away from Carlanstown with nothing but regrets as another disappointing result leaves promotion to Division One more difficult to obtain.

St Michaels 0-12

Rathkenny 0-11

The end result is all the more frustrating considering the great start, racing into a five point lead after twelve minutes. Two great early scores from Brian Lenehan were followed by Michael Mackens’ first point in the League. Another Lenehan point was followed by a score from centre back Donal Keogan. St Michaels finally popped over two scores before Keogan scored again. St Michaels kicked over their third point with four minutes left in the half. There was still time for Darren Barron to put Rathkennys seventh point of the half.

St Michaels completely turned the tables in the second half with a seven point unanswered spree in the opening ten minutes to lead by three. Rathkenny to their credit scored the next three points with a brace from Darren Barron and one from top scorer Brian Lenehan to draw level with ten minutes remaining. However St Michaels kicked the next two scores to lead by two with four minutes remaining. Colin Curtis narrowed the gap to a single point before Rathkenny missed two chances in a final desperate attempt to secure points from the game.

Rathkenny – D. Crosbie; J. Gore, J. Macken, D. McBride; R. Gore, D. Keogan, D. Nulty; B. Carolan, M. Macken, D. Barron; C. McCabe, J. Donegan, C. Curtis.

Subs – C. Gore for Carolan



ACFL2A (Round Six)

Rathkenny disappoint at home.

Any faint hopes Rathkenny had of promotion seem to have evaporated after a dreadful display against lowly St Ultans in Rathkenny last Thursday 7th July.

Rathkenny 0-07

St Ultans 0-09

The visitors led at the break by a solitary point with Rathkenny first half scores coming from Colm Gore, Darren Barron and Brian Lenehan. Rathkenny were guilty of some poor passing and shot selections throughout the half and things didn’t improve there after.

Second half scores from Brian Lenehan, David Donegan, Owen Elliott and John Donegan were not enough as intermediate side St Ultans held on for an unlikely victory. Twenty wides tell a sad tale for Rathkenny who need to improve greatly in the coming weeks with an important championship game against Nobber on the horizon.

Rathkenny – J. Martin; M. Macken, T. McKeever, S. Lynn; D. Donegan (0-1), D. Keogan, D. McBride; J. Macken, J. Donegan (0-1); O. Elliott (0-1), B. Lenehan (0-2), D. Smith; D. Barron (0-1), S. McCabe, C. Gore (0-1).

Subs – C. McCabe for C. Gore, I. Lenehan for Barron



ACFL2A (Round Seven)

Rathkenny take home the points

Rathkenny secured a fine nine point victory over hosts Syddan in this A league Division 2 clash played in Syddan last Monday evening, July 18th

Syddan 0-09

Rathkenny 1-15

Rathkenny opened brightly with two scores in as many minutes from Donal Keogan and John Donegan. Syddan replied with the next three scores all from frees to lead after 10 minutes. Rathkenny put in a four point scoring spree in a five minute spell through Murt Donnelly, Owen Elliott (2) and Darren Barron. Syddan reduced the gap before Rathkenny extended the lead once more through Donnelly and Brian Lenehan. Syddan replied with the final two first half scores to leave it a two point game at the break.

Brian Meade kicked over Rathkennys opening second half score. Syddan then replied with two scores of their own to leave the minimum between the sides. A 40th minute penalty for Rathkenny was expertly dispatched to the net by Murt Donnelly before Syddan got what was to be their final point on 43 minutes. Rathkenny pushed on from here with points from Brian Lenehan, Murt Donnelly (3), Brian Meade and John Donegan as they closed out the game.

Rathkenny – J. Martin; S. Lynn, T. McKeever, J, Gore; D. Donegan, J. Macken, R. Gore; B. Meade (0-2), D. Keogan (0-1); O. Elliott (0-2), M. Macken, B. Lenehan (0-2); D. Barron (0-1), J. Donegan (0-2), M. Donnelly (1-5)

Subs – I. Lenehan for Barron, D. McBride for D. Donegan, C. Curtis for B. Lenehan



ACFL2A (Round Eight)

Simonstown defeat Rathkenny

Simonstowns second half tally of 2-10 ensured they came away with the spoils in this high scoring, entertaining A league Division 2 clash played in Rathkenny last Tuesday evening, August 23rd

Rathkenny 3-10

Simonstown 2-15

Rathkenny started brightly with the opening four points from Thomas Martin, Owen Elliott (2) and Donal Keogan. Simonstown got into their stride with three unanswered points of their own before Colin Curtis sent over to leave two in it at the end of the first quarter. Ivan Lenehan then raced through to latch onto a highball and punch to the net on sixteen minutes. Simonstown reduced the gap with a point before Rathkenny sent over three points from Darren Barron (2) and Thomas Martin. Simonstown sent over the final first half score to leave the hosts leading 1-8 to 0-5 at the break.

The opening five minutes of the second half saw a glut of scores as Simonstown pointed before twice netting. Rathkenny replied immediately with a John Donegan goal of their own, before Simonstown pointed once more to leave it 2-08 to 2-07 in favour of the hosts. Simonstown hit three points on the bounce to lead by two, before Colin Curtis reduced the gap from a free. Two further scores put Simonstown three in front at the three quarter stage. This was extended to four before Ivan Lenehan expertly finished to the net on 50 minutes leaving the minimum between the teams. A free from Thomas Martin drew the sides level with four minutes remaining. Simonstown pulled away with the final two scores as Rathkenny kicked four of eight second half wides in a row in the final five minutes.

Rathkenny – J. Martin; S. Lynn, J. Macken, J, Gore; D. Keogan (0-1), T. McKeever, R. Gore; B. Meade, M. Macken; O. Elliott (0-2), I. Lenehan (2-0), D. Barron (0-2); B. Lenehan, T. Martin (0-3), C. Curtis (0-2)

Subs – J. Donegan (1-0) for McKeever, D. Smith for M. Macken



ACFL2A (Round Nine)

Ballinlough and Rathkenny end all square

Ballinlough got an injury time point to ensure a share of the spoils in this high scoring, entertaining A league Division 2 clash played in Ballinlough last Wednesday evening, August 31st

Ballinlough 2-14

Rathkenny 3-11

The visitors got off to a great start when a well worked moved ended with Ivan Lenehan blasting to the net for a second minute goal. The hosts replied with a major of their own six minutes later to restore parity. Colin Curtis got on the end of another slick move to bury to the net and with nine minutes gone it was 2-0 to 1-0. Ballinlough sent over the next two scores before Curtis sent over a free. Ballinlough then hit three points in a row before Curtis sent over another point for the visitors to leave it all square on the twenty minute mark. Owen Elliott put Rathkenny back in front before the hosts sent over two points in a row to go back in front. Brian Meade equalised for Rathkenny before Ballinlough pointed to lead by one at the interval.

The hosts hit a purple patch on the resumption and when they dispatched a 37th minute penalty they lead by seven points having popped over three points in the opening five minutes. Substitute John Donegan and Murt Donnelly replied for Rathkenny to reduce the gap to five at the three quarter stage. Ballinlough extended the gap back to seven with two quick points with ten minutes remaining. Donal Keogan started the fight back with a nice point. Murt Donnelly then lost his marker and slotted to the net to reduce the gap to three with eight minutes remaining. Rathkenny attacked constantly for the next five minutes and scores from Ross Gore, John Donegan and Donnelly levelled matters with three minutes remaining. Donnelly then kicked over a free for Rathkenny to lead once more as the game entered injury time. There was just enough time for the hosts to pop over a free to leave it all square at the end.

Rathkenny – J. Martin; R. Gore (0-1), J. Macken, J. Gore; D. Donegan, D. Keogan (0-1), M. Macken; B. Meade (0-1), D. Smith; O. Elliott (0-1), I. Lenehan (1-0), D. Barron; M. Donnelly (1-3), T. Martin, C. Curtis (1-2)

Subs – J. Donegan (0-2) for Barron, R. Timmons for Curtis, B. Carolan for J. Donegan



ACFL2A (Round Ten)

Rathkenny win in Pilltown

The visitors fifteen point half time lead was enough to secure victory in this A league Division 2 clash played in gale force winds in Pilltown last Tuesday evening, September 6th

St Colmcilles 0-10

Rathkenny 2-12

The gale force wind blowing straight down the pitch ensured this was going to be a game of two halves. Rathkenny played with the elements in the opening half and centre back Donal Keogan pointed after twenty seconds. A Colin Curtis free extended the lead a minute later before Thomas Martin finished to the net on three minutes following good work by Curtis on the end line. Rathkenny scored further points from Curtis (2) and Owen Elliott before the hosts put over their only first half score to leave it 1-5 to 0-1 after sixteen minutes. Brian Meade popped over the visitors’ next point, which was followed by another brace of scores from Colin Curtis. Full forward Thomas Martin caught a high centre before rifling to the net five minutes before the interval. He added a superb point thirty seconds later before Brian Lenehan sent over the final score of the half to leave it 2-10 to 0-1 at the break.

St Colmcilles aided by the gale force wind in the second half went about trying to reduce the gap and by the 40th minute had sent over four unanswered points. Rathkenny to their credit kept the hosts scoreless for the next fourteen minutes while David Donegan increased their lead with a 42nd minute point. St Colmcilles registered their sixth point on 53 minutes and added another, two minutes later, before Owen Elliott replied immediately with Rathkennys second point of the half. The hosts could only add three more points before the end which left eight points between the teams at full time.

Rathkenny – J. Martin; J. Gore, J. Macken, S. Lynn; D. Donegan (0-1), D. Keogan (0-1), R. Gore; B. Meade (0-1), D. Smith; O. Elliott (0-2), M. Macken, I. Lenehan; B. Lenehan (0-1), T. Martin (2-1), C. Curtis (0-5)

Subs – T. McKeever for R. Gore, D. Barron, R. Timmons, C. McCabe, P. Mullery